Summerhouse Linen has been in development over many years. We have combed the globe looking for the perfect combination of the highest quality fabrics with personal handcrafting production. Ethical and Sustainable.
We have 2 qualities of fabric available Heirloom Range and Luxury Range
HEIRLOOM RANGE FABRICS
- Egyptian Cotton: Cotton from Gaza
- French Linen: Linen from Normandy
Why French Linen for Heirloom Bedlinen?
Linen has been used as far back as far as 8000BC, it improves with age and last a long time. The organically grown plants, perfect growing conditions in Normandy ensure steady plant growth and strong fibres. These qualities ensure Summerhouse Linen, Linen Bedding will lasting a life time and would be possible to gift to the next generation. Linen bedding is known for its natural health benefits, improving sleep and general well being as well as its ecological and long lasting qualities. Its a perfect heirloom fiber matched with our designs many generations can enjoy Summerhouse Linen.
- Heat conductivity properties - Warm in winter and cool in summer
- Anti-static - No electric shocks
- Natural PH balance - Soft on skin
- Light massaging effect - Stimulating blood flow
- Naturally Hypoallergenic - Perfect for those with sensitive skin or allergies
- High air permeability - Breathable fabric
- Moisture wicking - Draws moisture away from the skin, keeping you dry
- High absorbancy - Holds up 20% of its weight in moisture before feeling damp
- Environmentally friendly - No irrigation and minimal chemicals required to grow flax.
- No wastage - Every part of the flax plant has value and a use, linen is 100% biodegradable
- Extremely durable - 30% stronger than cotton
Linen is a natural fabric made from the flax plant. Flax plants produce extremely strong fibres which are sustainable and renewable with the ideal growing conditions producing the world's best crops being in the Flanders region of France.
Growing flax is technically very difficult to control and requires special attention at every stage. Receiving no other treatment than that of a harrow, organic flax is very demanding from sowing to harvesting, as it only grows on very clean soils and in a favourable climate, hence the interest of pooling knowledge and innovations.
The flax plant takes around 100 days from planting to maturity when the flowers bloom each only for one day. Unlike cotton, the entire plant is used including the roots, which grow as deep and the plant does tall.
What are the best qualities of French Linen from Normandy?
Normandy, an area known to be one of the most suitable in the world for growing flax.The flax plant requires less water and fewer pesticides to produce than other manchester fibres.
The entire plant is utilised, even the elements which do not feature in the production of linen, for example, the seeds are pressed to make linseed oil. Linen is a renewable resource and is both biodegradable and recyclable making it an earth-friendly choice.